Sunday, January 25, 2009

tell me if this is too bitchy

People, I need to know something - Can you unfriend somebody on Facebook? And, furthermore, is it considered rude/bitchy/immature to do so if you discovered that someone who "friended" you, who was actually someone that you knew from when you were in jr high and didn't really like and has now become a born again christian with pro-life and anti-Obama style views that you have to read about on the status page all the time? I feel that it is kind of immature and rude, because everyone is entitled to their opinions. I haven't done anything yet, and I am pretty sure I can just do the live and let live thing (even if that person is a tough, arrogant, redneck dairy farmer with a rather limited world view... no, scratch the dairy farmer part, but the rest is true). We weren't friends back in the day and we aren't friends now. I am pretty sure we could not have a conversation about anything without it devolving into something not very pretty. I am happy if she is happy, I don't wish ill on anyone, but reading that crap makes me so angry. I had to stop myself from writing narkily on her wall - which would be even more bitchy and immature... Hmmm. What is the etiquette here? This is all so exhausting. Someone friended me the other day and I have no clue who she is. But I said yes anyway, because you know, whatever.

Have I mentioned that I kinda hate facebook?

2 comments:

karigee said...

Your options:

1) Remove a friend: If you would like to remove a friend, please navigate to the person’s profile page. When you view the person’s profile page, you will see the ‘Remove from Friends’ link at the bottom of the page. If you select this option, you will be removed from the person's Friend List as well. You will need to repeat the friend confirmation process if you wish to be friends with this person again.

2) Adjust your feed (without deleting them from your list): Facebook allows you to select which of your friends you'd like to see more News Feed stories about and which friends you'd like to see fewer stories about. Just click on the "Preferences" link at the bottom of your News Feed. At the bottom of the page, you are allowed to list friends you'd like us to "Show You More" of and friends you'd like us to "Show You Less" of. Your friends will not be notified that they have been added to either list. (You can do the same by clicking on "Options" next to any of their status updates in your feed, then clicking "See less about XXX.")

3) Leave Facebook: If you're worried about who can see you and what they can see, remember that you have complete control over this and can edit your settings as you see fit from the Privacy page. If you still want to leave Facebook, you can deactivate your account from the "Settings" tab on the Account page. Deactivation will completely remove your profile and all associated content on your account from Facebook. In addition, users will not be able to search for you or view any of your information. If you reactivate your account, your profile will be restored in its entirety (friends, photos, interests, etc.).

4) Get more help: http://www.facebook.com/help.php?ref=pf

BroadwayBaby said...

You are a genius of the first water. Thanks for your help!!