Wednesday, April 07, 2010

beatlemania... idol style

Even though I was born many years after the heyday of the Fab Four, I am still a pretty big Beatles fan (I usually always ask people who their favorite Beatle is. John is my fave.)

So I was intrigued/terrified to hear what Idol's top 9 would do with the Lennon/McCartney songbook, and they did a fairly decent job. There are a few of them where I would have picked different songs - like something sweet for young Aaron, my thought was "I saw her standing there" or "Michelle" for instance. I had a feeling we'd get "Come Together" from Crystal (but I think she could also have rocked "Oh Darlin'" or "Helter Skelter" (arrangements from the film "Across the Universe"). Or how about "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (also the film arrangement) for Katie? She has not been one of my faves, but she did well last night with "Let it Be". I would really love her to sing "How do I live" by LeeAnn Rimes, to prove Simon's country theory, or "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones... I think those would work for her voice...

What else? I liked Lee's random bagpipe guy, but was not a big fan of his "Hey Jude." Most of them picked pretty popular songs - only Casey picked one that was maybe not as well known to the Idol stage - John Lennon's "Jealous Guy." Which was reallyreallyreally slow. I would love for Casey to sing "I'll Be" or a song like that. He seems to have that chill Edwin McCain or Will Hoge kind of vibe to me.

Bottom three is tough to call this week, for me anyway. I will say Andrew, because I didn't feel him at all, Tim, because he has no range or voice or anything, even though he is super cute and... ????

++ Update: Well, how wrong can a person be?? The Bottom 3 was Andrew, Aaron and Big Mike (!!!) who had to sing for his survival. Dude can sing, I will give you that, and it is a HUGE example of the American public getting it wrong (AGAIN). The judges thought so too, and opted to use their save on him. I am happy with that outcome, since Big Mike is a likeable guy, he can sing and he did not deserve to go last night. I didn't hear what next week's theme will be, but I heard a rumor that Glambert will be the mentor. So maybe the theme will include guyliner? More bagpipes? Who knows!

No comments: