Thursday, April 29, 2010

twain wreck

Thanks, Ellen, for introducing that line of Shania Twain jokes (the Twain has left the station) etc on Idol last night and Tuesday.

After a Twain-wreck of a country night - why couldn't the theme have been country week, with ST as mentor, without all of the contestants having to sing her songs? I am convinced that this did nobody any favors, except perhaps Ms. Twain herself.

Last night's ridiculous results show featured the top six in a vampire themed Ford commercial (I guess you need to be exciting when all you've got to work with is a Ford), an appearance by Shrek co-stars Antonio Banderas and Cameron Diaz, performances by Lady Antebellum (I am not a huge country fan, but I kind of liked their song, and I really love their name. Great band name!), Rascal Flatts - twice - the second time with Shakira (?) and Sons of Sylvia, introduced by Carrie Underwood, although she herself didn't perform, which is a bit of a mystery. Didn't she just win a CMA award (is it me, or is there a country music awards show like every other week?)?

Eventually, there were also some results. The rather shocking bottom three included Big Mike, Casey and... Siobhan. Now, I was not a huge fan of Siobhan, but the girl can SING. She was miles better than most of the other contestants. Whatever, I thought she was there for drama value. But no. Ryan sent Mike back to safety and the bottom two were Casey and Siobhan. And then I knew - Casey is a golden rock god. If all the voters are tween-age girls, naturally they'd all be voting for the cute guy (with nicer hair than me, wtf?) - meaning curtains for Siobhan. Oh, you fickle fickle voting public.

After a really long commercial break, it came to pass. This now? Is the reason that the judges' save exists and the very week it should have been used. But nobody asks me. I think that they could have spent less time with the random performances and more time on the contestant and her "journey" on the show. She sang a final song (the Aretha one. It's too early in the day for me to remember what it is called), she screeched the high note at the end and then went into the audience to hug her family (and also Simon. I would totally have hugged Simon).

And then there were five. So much for it being a girls season, huh? Next week the top 5 will be mentored by Harry Connick Jr on the songs of Sinatra.

No comments: