Friday, April 09, 2010

It's boy meets world as 'Billy Elliot' musical takes flight :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Hedy Weiss

It's boy meets world as 'Billy Elliot' musical takes flight :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Hedy Weiss

Oh my gosh, Billy Elliot. I loved the movie and I saw the show in NYC 2 Decembers ago (a breather between Gypsy's). This show is not just about a kid wanting to dance - there is a bit of an edge to it, using the coal strikes and Margaret Thatcherism as a gritty backdrop for the story of a boy trying to find his way in the world. I laughed and I cried when I saw it originally. Sometimes I was the only one laughing (it helps to have a great love of British comedies here, although it is not essential) - the show has great dancing, memorable music (I like "Solidarity Forever" "Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher" and "Electricity") and a lot of heart.

Go and see it.

No comments: