Wednesday, April 28, 2010

that don't impress me much

Last night Shania Twain was the mentor on American Idol, and thus, all of the contestants had to sing from her "songbook" such as it is. I was totally geared up for some gender bending moments, like Big Mike crooning "Man, I feel like a woman" but alas, it was not to be.

Shania is lovely, but singing her songbook is not like singing that of Lennon and McCartney (which the Idols did a few weeks ago). I could only think of one actual song of hers last night (Man, I feel like a woman) although more of them started coming to me as the night went on. But I think it's limiting. So... it was kind of uneven. Lee sang "You're Still the One" which was just all right for me. It didn't seem to fit him. I don't know, it was disappointing all around. My fave Mama Sox sang a cute song, I had never heard it before, but it was not her best and all the judges told her so (I think she should have done "that don't impress me much" personally). It felt like when Lilly sang that Patsy Cline song - I hope Crystal's fate does not match Lilly's!! And I am SO TIRED of Siobhan Magnus, I don't get her at all. I thought her song and entire look was, to borrow a word from the new judge on ANTM: DRECKITUDE!!

An irritating night over all - bottom two predictions: Aaron and Casey
And by the way, what the heck is a "wheelhouse"??

From there we went into Glee which I was really looking forward to, what with the return of Kristin Chenoweth. And after last week's stellar Madonna episode, I thought these guys were on a total roll. But no. I still liked the episode, it just wasn't up to standard. Kristin's character April was back to flirt with Will and, naturally, sing her face off ("I feel a duet coming on!" she said, in the first scene, and that duet Fire was the best one of theirs all night). But the best storylines involved the actual Glee clubbers (duh). Mercedes, now a Cheerio, battling with weight and image issues (leading to a beautiful and moving rendition of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful"), and Kurt (or Curt?) who had played matchmaker for his dad with Finn's mom, presumably to get closer to Finn. This ended up biting him in the butt, as his dad started bonding with Finn over sports. He did, however get to sing a really great solo (!) and he has a lovely voice. I am happy to see him and Mercedes getting to really shine, and sing more solos.

The Will/April storyline fell apart and dragged the momentum of the show down. Their second duet, when April turned up at Will's apartment (uh, why?) and ended up sleeping over (???) - I don't even know what it was called - went on FOREVER. And served no purpose. Then April's millionaire kicked the bucket, and now she is off to broadway to stage the first all white production of The Wiz (huh?). Another big song on the stage of the auditorium (which she bought to thwart Sue's evil wiles once again) and she was off. Why is Will such a man-ho all of a sudden, anyway?? Will he make out, or at least think about making out with all of this season's guest stars??

Messy. Made me long for a little of Rachel's teen angst. She and Jesse were mysteriously quiet this week. I want to hear you both SING, dang it! My theory is that Jesse is really a double agent and come regionals he is going to go back to Vocal Adrenaline and crush poor Rachel, and she will sing about it with a FIERCE solo.

Favorite moments: Sue saying she was going to write to the Sec of State to tell them she was no longer carrying photo id because "everybody should know who I am", and also wondering why Mercedes and K/Curt didn't have a show on Bravo.

Until next week, Gleeks.

No comments: