Monday, July 02, 2007

Did someone say 'Pizza Fest'?

Yes, that's right - I went to 2 street food festivals in one weekend. Although personally, I think calling this thing a 'Fest' was a big of an overstatement. It was a parking lot and half a closed off street in Lincoln Park (at Fullerton and Racine). I went with my friends, not because we had an overwhelming desire to eat a lot of pizza (in fact, one of my friends doesn't even LIKE pizza) but to see Will Hoge's band perform. I first saw Will a few years back when he opened for Edwin McCain (this is when I was still spendnig all my money on SRO shows at the House of Blues, etc) and again on The Rock Boat. He does rock music, mainly, and he endeared himself to me with his song "Hey Mr. President (Anyone But You)" released during the last election. (A catchy little ditty with the refrain of: "Anyone but you would be just fine, anyone but you can have this vote of mine... I don't believe what you say is true, so I'm gonna vote for anyone but you...").

I used to go to concerts all the time and see similar singer songwriters, but as Ive found other
people to spend all my money on, I haven't been to a rock show for a while.

You know how, a few posts ago when I said I wished I was the sort of person who listened to jazz, played Scrabble, read the Wall Street Journal, watched CNN, etc? It occurred to me that I am closer to the 'sitting-at-Ravinia-listening-to-jazz' person than I am the 'standing-in-front-of-the-speaker-at-a-street-festival-concert' person. Watching everyone sloshing beer all over the place, inhaling smoke fumes, standing around, as I say, in front of the speaker, just isn't my idea of a good time any more. (Oh, no. Surely the Wall Street Journal can't be far behind?)

It's too bad, too, because I LOVED listening to the band play. That and catching up with my friends was the best part of the evening (and watching Will walk off into the sunset with a gaggle of giggling groupies was also pretty entertaining. Ah, the rock 'n roll lifestyle)

And maybe it's because we went on the last day of the 'fest' and were near closing time, but the pizza pickings were also pretty slim. I counted only a few food booths (and for a city known for its pizza, to have 2 offerings at this so-called 'pizza fest'?? How pathetic is that??)I had a limp slice of pepperoni pizza and some fried macaroni and cheese (!!) We ended up going back to the burbs for a late dinner that did not involve pizza or fried food of any kind....

I think this also fills my street festival quota for a few years. If anybody needs me, I'll be at Ravinia...

No comments: