Thursday, July 26, 2007

How About a Poem?

My mom's spending her days working summer school and found this poem from "The Song Shoots Out of My Mouth" by Jaime Adoff.
It's called "Diva" and for some reason, mom thought I'd like it. Maybe it reminded her of somebody (actually, a few somebodies) that we know... It's arrayed on the page in a more interesting way than this, but you get the idea, I think....

Diva

She is the
undisputed Queen of everything. Her walk says it all.
She's earned every note, every ounce of gold, and platinum
albums sold.
So many number one songs, not enough fingers, toes, and thumbs
to count them all.
Her grace walks onstage before she does.
We wait, anticipate. Wonder from this side
what it would be like to be her. To be up there looking at us.
What does she think about?
The place goes dark. The storm before the calm.
Then without warning:
THE SONG
flows
out of her mouth.
Like a waterfall in slow motion.
A magic potion
poured slow and easy on the ears.
Then, just when you think it's safe to sit, the riffs come raining down.
On my head, no soul umbrella, instead I let the song soak, deep and long. Filling me
up with everything she has, everything she's lived, everything she is.
Her voice brings me close to tears.
I sing along and move, she is all about the groove.
I watch, as each note shakes hands with every fan.
Thanking
loving
kissing
hugging.
What's hers
is mine, is ours.
Her power
is
her voice
is
her soul
singing
to me
in this seat.

She is the
Diva.

No comments: