Friday, November 02, 2007

Do we need a little Christmas - right this very minute?

So, lots of nice things happen after Halloween - Starbucks brings back their holiday coffees, there's thanksgiving, and my birthday (the 24th, if anyone sees this and wants to send presents or money...) But here's the thing I'm dreading - how early will the retailers start the playing of the Christmas music?

When I worked retail, one of my managers put the Christmas channel on right after Halloween. Naturally, we all rebelled and switched the station until about mid-November when I think the company mandated that the music be on. But - a number of other stores followed suit - very very alarmingly early, isn't it? I think that the holiday music should be restricted to the week immediately leading up to Christmas. Even that is pushing it. How about Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and maybe at parties?

I'd like retailers to know that playing Christmas music November 1 does not put me in the "holiday spirit" and therefore willing to buy more. (Only your prices will compel me to buy more or less, ya morons.) All that stupid music does is make me want to run from the store screaming "Nooo! Make it stop!" etc.

I think this comes from those retail days when I had to listen to the music piped in via satellite radio. You'd think it being satellite radio, the possibilities would be endless, no? But alas. It played the same bunch of songs on a loop. Over and over and over again. For six hour shifts or more. Too much. There aren't a lot of new holiday songs, either, so you pretty much have pop artists singing the old classics. I don't know about you, but I think the world needs only so many versions of some of these.

So when does the madness begin? I will let you know the first moment I hear a store playing holiday music. Or maybe I'll just wise up this year and do all my shopping online. That way, I can shop in my pajamas and listen to my own music. Brilliant!

1 comment:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

It's sacriligious to use a Mame title with this. It is too soon for Christmas but it's been this way for as long as I can remember now.