Friday, December 21, 2007

Attending the Tale...


Last night I went straight to the theater from the train station to see this movie. Mother Nature even gave me ambience in the form of a cold, dark, drizzly evening. None of my friends were able to come to the movie with me, but that's okay because I had the entire Niles North theater department for company. I ran into them at Johnny Rocket's where I had dinner and then they joined me for the show. Our theater was not full, so I could curl up in my seat and not have to worry about any people taller than me (that is to say, just about everybody) with their gigantic melons blocking my view. Our previews featured "Fool's Gold" (they got the Fool part right. Kate Hudson and Matthew McHowever-you-spell-it-hey? treasure? Um. No) and "Mamma Mia!" where the NN theater department contingent burst into applause. But what the hell. Colin Firth is in it, so I think we will be adding it to my list of things to see...
On to the main attraction. Overall, I liked it. I mean, gosh - is there anything Johnny Depp can't do? He's so versatile that when you watch him on screen, you don't see Johnny Depp playing a role, you see Jack Sparrow, you see Sweeney Todd, you see Willy Wonka. He was a great, spooky Sweeney. We also had a little House of Slytherin reunion happening on screen - with several of the leads also having appeared together in the last Harry Potter movie - Helena Bonham Carter (whom I really liked as Mrs. Lovett), Alan Rickman (I think they could have made the Judge even creepier. Come on people, the man does creepy really well, and frankly, I think he was a little under utilized here) and Timothy Spall (wormtail from the HP movies - he was the Beadle. I looked at him and Snape - I mean Judge Turpin and could only think "Wormtail! Walk home with me, for I have news..."). I'm not a huge Sacha Baron Cohen fan, but I think he did really well as Pirelli. And, oh, I loved Ed Sanders as Toby. I could eat him up, I really could... Weak links were Antony and Johanna FOR SURE. Antony looked kind of like a girl - not the strapping young sailor I would have imagined. There were cuts made (haha) and it seemed like they took all the funny stuff out (or most of it, although I did laugh a few times. I was the only one though...) And it was grisly. All that blood! Oh, well.
I will definitely be seeing it again.
Next up though, will be the (hideous looking) PS I Love You - which features my boyfriend* Gerry Butler. He does die at some point in the film, sadly enough for Hilary Swank's character and the rest of us, because after that we get to see how she finds love again (or something) with the help of her spunky girlfriends. Ah, Gerry, the things I do for you... Phantom of the Opera springs instantly to mind...
* I wish... but whatever. Let a girl have her (hot, Scottish) dreams, okay?

No comments: