Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Happy Day After Christmas!

Is it just me or does it not really feel like the holiday season? Even as I was sitting next to the Christmas tree yesterday, watching "A Christmas Carol" with my family, and eating a lot of food, it didn't feel like Christmas. It used to be that I would happily count down the days, open my chocolate advent calendar, wonder if I'd been nice enough, ponder how exactly Santa got into our house when our chimney led into a tiny fireplace downstairs...* I guess there was more anticipation then. I don't really know what it is - maybe it's because the weather's been so mild lately? Maybe because Christmas was on a Tuesday? Maybe because I don't know any kids? Maybe because I feel like it sneaked up on me? MAYBE I'm just really old now. Who knows?

But it was a nice weekend, overall, even if it didn't feel like a holiday weekend. Was at the Nutcracker twice (no, not watching it, working at it!) and will be there three times more before the week is out, did some last minute Christmas shopping, visited family friends on Christmas Eve (ah! finally some kids! My dad's friend has three lovely granddaughters (the oldest of whom is 7) and I was playing with them. One got a little nintendo thing that had games and a "nintendog" - OMG, how cute was that thing? I am sorry to say, a seven year old schooled my ass in those games. I am just hopeless at them. Then we played go fish and that was much more my speed. We also played a game of war with fish cards (no numbers) - don't ask me how we were doing that, but I think I won. I ate way too much - turkey AND ham, taters, corn, and many many sweets - cookies, cake etc etc etc.

Yesterday we were at grandmother's house with the family. We watched "A Christmas Carol" and added our own hillarious dialogue (tee hee) and also later watched "A Christmas Story" and The 3 Tenors Christmas special (the tenors rock out to such holiday gems as "I'll be Home For Christmas" "White Christmas" "Jingle Bells" "Feliz Navidad" and, my favorite - "Happy Christmas/War is Over" - Seriously.) Ate more food.

Now I'm back here at work - no day after Christmas shopping for me, drat.



* I was a weird kid. Because it obviously didn't make any sense that Santa would come down our chimney, my parents told me that he just came through the front door. Then I was worried that if we left the door open, we'd be burgled, and I think my parents eventually just told me Santa had a key. Or that he was magical and could walk through walls. I don't remember. It didn't matter anyway, because when I was in first or second grade, Kathy Litwin told me Santa didn't really exist and then the jig was up.**

** I was really mad at her for a while too, and was in huge amounts of denial. But I'm okay now. Really.

No comments: