Friday, December 07, 2007

Here's a Tip...

Does anyone else have trouble with tipping? What's the right amount? Who all do you give a tip to? If anything, I think I personally tend to over tip. This comes from the days when some of my friends * worked as servers and hostesses - I felt their pain, and translated it onto other server type people my age. Just trying to get by, ya know? Even if the service was less than stellar, I've never left nothing.

This is all really winding up to say that I'm usually a very good tipper and generally (I think) a nice person in retail and other situations. But yesterday I kind of accidentally** stiffed a cabbie out of his tip and now I feel REALLY bad about it. So, dear Checkered Cabbie: even though I had to make 2 calls to the dispatcher and you ended up collecting me, my boss and our target purchases*** an hour after I called for service, (and we had to stand outside in the freezing cold. I mean really? 15 degrees?)I really really really didn't actually mean to not give you much of a tip. I am not a stingy bitch type person. Really. I'm not. And if I could remember the cab number, I'd (possibly) do something to rectify my error. As it is, I can't remember the cab number and I rectified the situation by overtipping the server at dinner last night.




* But not me. I don't think there is anything wrong with working as a server or a hostess, I just don't think I'd be good at it. I hate people, and having to put up with narky diners just would not work for me...

** Long story. He told me one number but when I looked at the receipt later on, there was a dollar added for some reason (I think for the stuff in the trunk)and the total was not the amount I paid. If it had been, the tip would have been a bit bigger.+ As it was, he probably thought I was the biggest bitch in the history of Chicago public transportation.

+ Yes, I am aware that this makes me sound a little dense. I mean, really? An 'accidental' tipper?

*** Also a long story. Don't ask. But for the record, the Target store on Elston is VERY nice. It is also very far away from the office.

No comments: