Saturday, February 23, 2008

the beautiful miscellaneous *

* I saw this title on a book at the library and needed to bloglift it for my own. I can pretty much guarantee that my beautiful miscellaneous is nothing like the author of that book...

Phew. It's been a busy week & I am glad it's finally the weekend. Our winter program opened on Wednesday, and with opening night brought the usual flurry of activity. Whenever I tell people where I work, I just know they think it's all glitter and sugar plum delight - and sometimes it is (an afternoon at work can include a shift at the theater, watching the matinee. Or, like yesterday, going to watch kids from our education program perform. I get to sit on my ass and watch people dance and call it work. That's pretty damn** cool.) but a lot of the time, it's not glam at all. Consider this the next time you get a solicitation from a non-profit - some poor fool was probably folding, stuffing, sealing and stamping that very piece of mail. And if you get mail from us, it was probably me that did it. Ha! There are a lot of long days, schlepping banners and floral center pieces from point a to point b and all that, but overall I think it's worth it... I was shopping at lunchtime on Thursday (dangerous. So dangerous. State Street really is a great street!) and somebody popped out in front of me while I passed by Old Navy and asked me "Do you like your job?" I don't know if they were recruiting or what, but I am thinking the people they usually ask say no. I didn't even have to think. My response was, "Yes! Thanks!" and I walked on. And this was my answer even after opening night...

I got a great compliment at the opening night dinner from our photographer. He's a pretty noted dance photographer, and his work is absolutely gorgeous. He took a test shot of us at the registration table. "You're so pretty," he said to me. No one ever tells me that (except my mom and that so does not count). I thought he was just being sweet so I said thanks. Then, as we were eating our dinner (exiled to eat in the hallway at the registration table) he said that I reminded him of a film actress. He could not recall her name, but said she usually played "the cute girl with the glasses" and once she would let her hair down went from girl in the corner to super siren (totally like She's All That, n'est c'e pas?) and that this actress was the daughter of Elia Kazan. Again, I thought he was just being sweet, but the more I thought about it, the more of a compliment I think it was. This guy is a great photog and knows beauty when he sees it. It made me feel nice and sometimes we all need that kind of a boost, ya know? I also did some research on old Elia and I think the daughter my guy was referring to is Barbara Loden. I am still working that one out though. We can have a little side by side photo action so y'all can see for yourselves.

I can't believe the Oscars are on tomorrow night. Every year I vow to myself that I will go and see all the best picture nominees, but it never happens. Ever. I saw Juno, Sweeney Todd, and, actually, I think that's it in terms of things that were actually nominated. I can make predictions, but they would mean absolutely nothing. I'm okay with that though, and I will definitely be watching - for Jon Stewart's opening host monologue mainly, and the clothing (definitely).

I was trying to get my act together and complete an application to consolidate my student loans and it just makes me want to scream really loudly and throw things. Nobody ever tells you that being an adult totally sucks sometimes OR that sometimes the best thing to do is just make stuff up. I cannot believe the amount of stuff that I just totally pull from out of nowhere. There is no class that prepares you for some of this stuff, and I think there really should be. That, and how to "network" - they can call it "schmoozing 101" and you'd get points based on the quality of BS you are able to put forth.

** as you can see, the Lent ban on swearing has not been going well.

3 comments:

Emily said...

With you on the movie thing - I've only succeeded in seeing all the best picture nominees once, about three years ago. This year I've also only seen Juno and Sweeney Todd, but to be honest most of the best picture movies weren't even things I wanted to see. But, I will watch anyway, for the same reasons you are!

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Ask that photographer out on a date.

BroadwayBaby said...

Ummm... the photog is a great guy, but... how to say this nicely? Considerably older than me! Not somebody I'd consider dating.