Saturday, February 16, 2008

the long arm of the law...

So... I got a jury summons yesterday. For standby juror-hood, in early March. Huge amounts of joy abound. I got called to the Daley Center downtown, which is both good and bad. It's good cuz it means I don't have to go to Rolling Ghettos, Maywood or 26th and California... but at the same time, it's bad, cuz it's within walking distance of the office and I can go there once I'm done...

Here's the thing, I've never had to serve jury duty before. I was called as an undergrad, but asked for a date reassignment because I was scheduled to take a poli-sci exam. Voila, date changed, and they never called me back after that. Whatever. Was then called a few years ago, same deal, standby, call the day before... so I did and it ended up that I wasn't called after all. Is it horrible to hope the same thing might happen again???

In my mind, it's all a bit like "Law & Order" - when I went to court for my car accident last year, I had this whole mental scenario playing out in my head, and the whole experience turned out to be nothing like I'd imagined. (BUT - I won. Hahahahaha.)

A while ago, I heard that a client of my former company was going to sue said former company - and call ME as a witness. Long boring story, but, we did executive recruiting and placed someone at the client that got totally fired. She was a bit of a whackadoo.... I was not the project lead, and I wasn't very involved with the process, but I did check the references for this particular candidate... My ex-CEO called me at my new place which totally freaked me out. I mean, it was a year ago, and I've blocked all of their crap from my mind. So I got it into my head that I'd have to travel to the client and that it would totally be like me on the witness stand being interrogated by Jack McCoy (before he became ADA, that is) "Where were you on the night of..." "OBJECTION!" "OVERRULED!" and stuff like that. My current boss who is an attorney told me that I'd most likely just have to go make a statement.

Fortunately for me, I never had to give a statement or be a star witness or anything (former company paid off disgruntled client, thus avoiding the courtroom). So. We'll see.

No comments: