Monday, February 04, 2008

Oh my god, I'm blogging about football??

Monday morning confession: I actually like football. (Shh. Don't tell anybody!) I don't sit around every weekend glued to the games, I don't follow stats, and I have no idea what the commentators are on about half of the time, but generally, I know what's going on. I think this comes from having to go to SuperBowl parties with my parents when I was younger. Friends of theirs would cook up a big pot of chili and we'd watch the game. Since I wasn't at home, I usually had to sit and watch the game. Eventually I decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and started to learn about what was happening.

By virtue of geography I am a Bears fan. There was a time though, when I was unaware that the team picked you, rather than the other way around, and I was a Giants fan for a while (I loved New York from an early age, and I thought they had a hot QB. Don't remember who it was now, though). I was also a Cowboys fan in high school - another QB crush (Troy Aikman, who is not terribly cute now so I am not sure what I was thinking. Must be the uniform?). Also, my friend Angelo was a SF 49ers fan, and those 2 teams had a big rivalry. Whenever there'd be a game and my Cowboys lost, he'd always come to my locker in the morning and smirk "24 - 17?" or whatever the score had been. I didn't know as much about the game as he thought I did so usually I'd say something to annoy him like "At least they're not the 49ers" and then steal his ruler at lunchtime.

Anyway, last night, I was a Giants fan again - for one night only - because I'd taken violently against the Patriots and desperately wanted to see them lose. The reasons for this are entirely personal and not at all based on any kind of fact, because, heck, they're a really good team. In a nutshell, I started to take against them because:

1. They are smug. (Nobody likes a smug team.)
2. That whole spygate thing by their kind of jerky coach Bill Belichik (this does not play a large part in why I don't like them, but it doesn't really help their case.)
3. They walked into the game with a HUGE sense of entitlement thinking that all the Magnificent Tom Brady had to do was step onto the field and the victory would be theirs. Sorry boys, it doesn't work that way.
4. Tom Brady is a great player, but he's not the Second Coming. The way they talk about him, you'd think he was all by himself out there. (Aside from this, I think he's kind of a jerk, dumping his pregnant girlfriend for a supermodel. AND he's a Republican. I know, I know, personal and political choices don't make for a bad person (we all have our flaws, right?) and they certainly don't have anything to do with how he plays the game. I could overlook these things about him if I liked the team, but since I don't it just adds fuel to the fire.)

Anyway, I was cheering for the Giants since they were the underdog. I usually don't watch the SuperBowl all the way through, I get bored and wander off to do something else. Last year, I quit watching somewhere around the 3rd quarter since the Bears totally stunk it up. But usually I'll watch for the commercials, or the halftime show. But this was a good game! And it was worth watching the whole thing because it only got fun in the 4th quarter.

Other thoughts:
1. Who thought we needed Ryan Seacrest documenting arrivals on the "red carpet" (WTF?)?? Also all of that other cheesy pre-game stuff, like Russell Crowe's Gladiator-esque intro, and those football types reading the Declaration of Independence? People, it's a football game.
2. Why didn't anyone wake up Tom Petty before he did his halftime show? It was so mellow, I was practically asleep. I think we are running out of classic rockers to do this halftime gig - but hey, no wardrobe malfunctions to worry about, right?
3. The Biggest Loser: Bill Belichik and his ugly-ass sweatshirt making a run for it before the game was even over. Ohmygod, get over yourself.

Anyway, I'm glad they pulled it out and took those smug !@*#&$&#@$ down a peg. No more football talk for the rest of the year, I promise.

Now back to our regularly scheduled blog...

No comments: