Monday, March 08, 2010

conductor hair!

Saturday night - the show was at 8:00 and I did everything I could think of to make myself leave late-ish so as to avoid my usual getting to the theater hugely early and then standing around in the lobby by myself. I left at 6:20, allowing for Saturday night traffic on the expressway.

And I still got downtown before 7:00. I mean, really. So. I found a spot in the parking garage, and hailed the elevator. There was a group of people in there already, on their way to Lyric for the evening's performance (at 7:30). One group included a little boy - I'm so bad at guessing ages, but I'd say maybe 10? Younger? One lady asked him if he was going to the opera and he nodded shyly. She told him it would be wonderful etc (I'm guessing it was Figaro? Four hours worth of wonderful, poor kid.). Then the doors opened and in stepped Sir Andrew Davis, looking cheerful and conductorly (no, I didn't notice the famed "conductor hair"). He greeted the group at large. I don't know if anyone else recognized him - I did, so I am guessing any other subscriber or Lyric fan would recognize his face (which is, after all, on the side of the building and on all of their materials!) but a reverential hush fell over the group and we finished the elevator ride in silence.

No comments: