Friday, March 12, 2010

this weekend: Rent... at Niles North High School

So tomorrow afternoon I am going to see a high school production of Rent. Does that strike anyone else as being strange and kind of inappropriate for high school kids? Am I just really old? I remember when I was in high school (all the way back in the -gasp! 1990s!) and they did Chicago - there were all kinds of cuts made to the production. As I recall, they could not say "undies" on stage and had to say "panties" instead (or I could be mixing those up). So no on the undies, but totally okay with Rent and its thematic elements? How times have changed. It just surprises me what parents in the district complain about and what they ignore... What's next? Spring Awakening??

I've been told that there is a cleaned up high school version that they will be performing, but then will it be like 15 minutes long or what? I guess we will just have to see. I'm going because I am so insanely curious about it. Plus, I've been to some other North stuff and I know they will do a great job. Even if they just sing "Seasons of Love" and... Done.

Expect a full report here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So what did you think of it?

BroadwayBaby said...

Oh my gosh, I thought they did such a great job!

BroadwayBaby said...

Review of sorts is in the post called 525,600 minutes!