Friday, March 05, 2010

some enchanted... weekend


"What's to discuss, old friend?
Here's to us — who's like us?
Damn few!"
-Stephen Sondheim, Merrily We Roll Along


** Note: this show in Chicago has been discussed in thoughtful, pithy ways by the likes of Hedy Weiss and Chris Jones. If you want to read something good and unbiased and reviewerly, please check those out, in the Tribune and Sun Times, as what follows here, while thoughtful, is completely biased and overwhelmed with fan-girl enthusiasm. Cool? Don't say I didn't warn you.

There are damn few people on this planet like Patti LuPone and Mandy Patinkin. Their joint show, which made a stop in Chicago this past week (Fangirl says "Squee! A whole week!!! Down the street from the office, even??") differed from their individual shows in that there were no jokes or cheerful patter. This show was, rather, the story of two people on a journey - the ups and downs of a relationship - as told through scenes from different musicals. They did not pause to insert narrative, jokes, take our photos, sing in Yiddish (wouldn't you have loved to see Patti do that??) or grumble about unruly microphones. They played the scenes, they sang their faces off. Some of the music was familiar - South Pacific, Carousel, other pieces were not as well-known - Evening Primrose, Merrily We Roll Along, Flora the Red Menace.

I went to the show three times this weekend (Fangirl says: shut yer face, you're just jealous!): Friday night with a colleague, a LuPoTinkin virgin, as it were, Saturday night just for fun, and this afternoon with mom. Let's just talk about today - as it is the freshest in my mind. Patti and Mandy are Performers. Yes, they deserve the capital letter. The two of them are just so plugged into their performance, the music flows right through them, straight from the heart and into the (extremely enthusiastic) audience. You know I first saw them do this show last year in St. Louis. After a reallyreallyreally long & panicked train ride, I bolted dinner and took myself off to the (Fabulous) Fox Theatre. I was in the front row - the two of them appeared on stage, launched into "Another Hundred People" and all was right with the world.

And so it was again. Both of them are such HUGE presences on stage, but blend together effortlessly. For the entire time, they look as though they are having a blast, with each other and with the audience. My mom said of Patti: "She's so cute!" And she is!! Tough and strong and sweet and funny and ohmygod, that voice. My mom again, this time of Mandy "That man can really WAIL!" And he can! He is solid and consistent and powerful in every part of his range. My heart melted when he sang "Some Enchanted Evening" and I laughed a lot during "The God-Why-Don't-You-Love-Me-Blues" and of course, at the rolling chair choreography in "April in Fairbanks." Hammy and over the top? Well, yes. Occasionally. But who the hell cares?? I loved it! What these two got, you can't teach. They have that mythical IT factor. It was a pleasure to spend time under the same roof as these two old friends this weekend.

Today's performance was the best of the three for me. The audience was warm and receptive (and LOUD) . One burning question for me though, was why the heck "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" was listed in the playbill but had gone unsung Friday and Saturday nights (I am not sure if it was sung at the other performances, either, but I seem to remember one of the reviewers commenting on its rather conspicuous absence at one of the opening performances.). I mean, whatever. It didn't bother me that it was omitted, for whatever reason, I was just curious. But this afternoon! Oh! The second act started as usual with "Old Folks" and went on as listed, until they reached "The way that it was." Mandy went to the front of the stage and started talking which made me sit up a bit straighter in my seat (had to. Man with HUGE head in front of me!) going Huhhuhhuhhuhuh?? What's this?? He said that in in1979 he and Patti met during a show about "a little lady from Argentina", and how they'd made their first, and lasting, connection with each other.

And THEN he busted out with "Oh What A Circus" - TALK about the nerdgirl in my soul turning cartwheels!!! Patti turned up then, the music played and, well, you must know where this is going. She sang "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," iconic pose and all, and it was awesome. The heretofore quiet looking gentlemen to my left lept from their seats, cheering and bellowing "LuuuuuPoooonnneee!" Damn, I loved those guys. Whoever you are, you rock. The show moved on from there to "Somewhere That's Green" and "In Buddy's Eyes" leaving out "Franklin Shepard Inc" but although I enjoy watching Mandy do that song, I didn't mind (and in fact, didn't even notice until just now) having it shuffled aside for a brief appearance from Eva and Che.

Awesome. Epic. Legends. They made me laugh, they made me cry, (DOHHHH! "You'll Never Walk Alone" gets me Every.Time.) they allowed me to snatch a few moments of rest and happiness.

I could have sat there forever, watching them sing, laugh, and be together. It was a rainy cold Sunday in the Loop with Patti and Mandy, but oh, so worth it. If you have a chance to see this show, do. I'll go with you.

No comments: