Monday, April 14, 2008

the drowsy chaperone...

First, I need to say THANK YOU, Broadway in Chicago, for FINALLY giving midwestern lovers of musical theater something to watch other than Wicked, Jersey Boys and POTO. This year we actually have musicals stopping off here that were actually on broadway in recent history. Aside from the obligatory Rent and JCS tours, we've also had (or are getting) My Fair Lady, Avenue Q, Dirty Dancing, Sweeney Todd (!) and most recently, The Drowsy Chaperone I remember hanging out at Tower Records in Lincoln Center with Kari and Sarahone rainy day and seeing walls filled with the Drowsy Chaperone cast recording. I remember thinking that if it ever toured to Chicago, I'd see it then. I was curious, but not curious enough to spend my hard earned ticket budget on the New York production.

So, a few weeks ago, I made good on my previous musing. I ambled over to the Oriental Theater box office and purchased tickets (golly gosh! sometimes working right downtown within blocks of the "theater district" has its advantages!) for yesterday's matinee.

We had a very chatty usher who assured us that the show was "hysterical" and that we'd be laughing from the first line nonstop to the end. While that was certainly true of the guy behind us (he laughed - loudly- at everything. Sometimes I laughed just because he laughed.) I wasn't rolling in the aisles. Standout performances were the Man in the Chair (Jonathan Crombie), the titular Chaperone (Nancy Opel) and Georgia Engel as Mrs. Tottendale (is there anyone cuter than her?? I really don't think so.).

Was it an earth-shattering, transformative theatrical experience? No. Did I leave humming the songs and with armloads of (overpriced) merchandise? (Surprisingly, for me) No. But it was entertaining, and cute. At times I think it tried too hard to be clever and funny. Very obvious humor that worked (I mean, I did laugh.). I did enjoy the bit with the phone ringing and the Man in the Chair's diatribe about ringing phones in the theater that ruined the moment. After my Sunday in the Park with George experience, I could totally relate.

But, overall, a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. At least, you know, until we got on the Edens expressway...

+ Update: I was ruminating a bit more on The Drowsy Chaperone last night. Generally, I liked it. I liked it's message - that theater can be a wonderful, wonderful collective experience that has the ability to take you out of yourself and into another place, even if it's for a short time. I know this to be true, I've seen it happen. That's what makes distractions like ringing cell phones during the last line of Sunday in the Park with George* or one of the actors talking at you from the stage about Broadway Cares** even more disturbing, if you're right there in the moment with them.

Drowsy doesn't exactly live up to the moral of its own story. If a show is done right, and everyone is doing their jobs well, you'll be living in the story and in the moment on your own, without the show telling you "Now we're taking you to another world! Aren't we clever?!? Aren't we funny?? Don't you {heart} us?"***

* "White: A blank page or canvas. His ---- RIIIIINNNNG! --- favorite. So many "Hello? I'm in the theater..." possibilities... Curtain. And thank you for spoiling my moment!

** Lookit, I'm happy you guys care! I care too! Really! It's a great cause, and I am happy to support you, supporting it. But really? Really? At the end of the show? In costume? Spoiled the mood for me, like totally. Whatever mood I had left, that is, after that damn cell phone went off. Maybe it's just me, but I need some time to absorb what I've seen, to come out of the park or out of Bobby's apartment or out of the Man in the Chair's living room and having I-don't-remember-who in costume start yakking to me was a little unexpected. I was told it happens all the time, but I can only remember one other show where that's happened to me (Avenue Q). Isn't there a better way?? It's not like I won't give you money. I will! I have!

*** Update on the Update. Geez, someone had her cranky pants on yesterday. Just ignore me - it was a lovely little show, very sweet and funny. I didn't hate it - I apparently just have very very high expectations for my entertainment...

No comments: