Friday, April 25, 2008

My good friend, Sweeney...

Does it surprise anyone that Hedy Weiss was a little befuddled by this production??

When I saw it on Broadway for the first time, I didn't remember much about the story at all. I had seen it 3 years before at Lyric Opera with Bryn Terfel as Sweeney and Nathan Gunn as Antony. With a cast of such distinction, you'd think I'd remember every last detail. Yeah, not so much. I remember a little bit about what it looked like, and the barber chair. I recall "A Little Priest" which Bryn and his Mrs. Lovett (nope, don't remember her, either) sang with gusto. But music? Plot? Alas, no.

So I went into it that April of 2006 with no recollection of the story and also no concept of the concept (the actor-musicians). It was all new to me, and I completely fell in love with it. I am sure it helped that I saw the original cast and that I saw it with people who knew it and loved it and could answer all my questions. But I didn't even have that many questions! So I am not sure what "muddled storytelling" our girl Hedy is talking about.

I'm looking forward to seeing it on Sunday. Will I miss Patti & Michael? Do you want me to be honest? Yes, probably. I came to the show through them, and loved it with them in it. There was this kind of feeling in the theater each time I saw the show, an energy and a connection between the actors on stage and us in the audience. It was the first time I'd experienced that, so I am attached to the whole show in kind of an emotional way. Yes, I know that it's not objective or rational or whatever, but I'm not a critic, I'm a fan and theater goer, and this is just how I feel about it.

HOWEVER - that being said - I'm really really excited about going to see it this weekend! I feel like I'm visiting an old familiar friend. I smile like a fool each time I pass the Cadillac Palace Theater.

So honestly? Don't listen to Hedy. Go and see the show.

No comments: