Thursday, March 12, 2009

on a rainbow high...

Can you believe I've never seen Evita? I have a weird sort of connection with the show, I can remember, when I was younger, singing my own lyrics to Don't Cry for Me Argentina, and pretending I was on the balcony of the Casa Rosada. How I knew the song is totally beyond me. Maybe some family member played it or something? And of course, when the movie came out, I went a bunch of times. Totally obsessed with it I was. I remember I was so mad when some chick in my spanish class said it was just like a big music video for Madonna. And now I must publicly apologize. Madonna can't act for shite. So I am sorry Lambrini, wherever you are, you totally called it. When I was in LA a few years ago to see Mahagonny, I was chilling out in my hotel room and the movie happened to be on. I was in awe of my former self for thinking it was so great. Why did I see it so many times? I asked the tv. But strangely, I also couldn't turn it off, I was so fascinated by it. In a weird way. Sidebar here - I also remember squabbling with another Spanish class classmate - who claimed that there's a line in Rainbow High where Eva declares that she's "half croatian" because hello? There isn't.

Yesterday I read a great review by Hedy Weiss (go to suntimes.com and find it, the link thingie hates me today) of a new production of Evita playing in Rogers Park. I really really really really want to go. It will be nowhere near the original, but what can you do? I was only 2 in 1980.

No comments: