Wednesday, April 29, 2009

dear sneezing guy on the train...

Really, dude, really? Have you not been watching the news? What makes you think it is ok to go around on the train, sneezing your brains out and then noisily blowing your nose?? STAY HOME already. This is how these things spread, right? I don't care if you just have a cold - when you sneeze, your booger particles (scientific term!) travel around the very small train compartment to your fellow passengers (ME) who go to work, and home and shopping, etc, and then we spread those particles around and it goes on & on & on forever. So do me a favor, Chicago and keep your damn germs to yourselves, okay? Can you tell I am a wee bit freaked out by this flu thing? I feel like I'm in an episode of "24" and they keep showing those Worst Case Scenario maps, filling with color as the Virus spreads... All we need are some bad guys and a mysterious canister. Oh, and Jack Bauer saving the day, of course. "All in a day's work, Mr. President, sir..."

Right. Speaking of shows on Fox, last night was Rat Pack night on Idol! I always expect these things to be more exciting than they actually are, and I end up disappointed, like with Disco night, which was WAY anticlimactic. So yes, Rat Pack night, with mentor Jamie Foxx (I don't really get that one, actually, but he seemed to work well w/the contestants. He seems cool, and I am way disappointed that The Soloist is not doing really well in theaters. I cried during the preview...), was also a little disappointing. Where were the Sinatra tunes? Fly me to the Moon? My Way?? That's Amore? I mean, the Rat Pack was WAY before my time, so it must seem eons away for Allison who is only 17 but still. LAME song choices, people. And all of them taken to a ridiculously slow tempo that made them all come off as a little lounge-y. Actually, when Kris sang "The Way You Look Tonight" I characterized the performance as "cruise ship" and Simon referred to him as "wet" - because someone had thrown him overboard from the cruise ship (okay fine, I'm making that part up) which when pressed by Ryan he defined as "not dry" and I think it actually means sort of drippy, nerdy, dweeby, etc. British slang thing... Allison sang "Someone to Watch Over Me" and damn can that girl sing. I like her, but I think she may be in trouble.

Matt G sang "My Funny Valentine" and it was capital D-readful. Randy hit the nail on the head, saying it was "pitchy" (it was!) but Simon, my voice of reason, liked it. He called it "brilliant." I think maybe Paula slipped him a little of whatever it is she's got in her little coca cola cup...I don't get it at all. Overall, my faves were Adam, Allison, Danny, Kris and then Matt. I don't know who to predict for bottom two this week.

No comments: