Monday, April 06, 2009

meet me in st. louis - 2

Part 2: The Fabulous Fox!

So, where were we? Oh, yes. I had just stumbled off the train after a 7 and a half hour ride, onto the mean (more on this later) and unfamiliar streets of St. Louis. I was starving, exhausted, anxious. I gobbled down some dinner (a pasta primavera that was basically fettuccini, tomatoes and huge-ass chunks of onion. No sauce to speak of. Mmmmmm..... Then I had to start worrying about how I was going to get myself to the theater. Walking was out - not only was my hotel too far away for that to be convenient, the theater's website cautioned against walking around the city at night. Lovely. Fortunately for me, the amazingly friendly and helpful staff at the Holiday Inn Select (near the Convention Center!) were able to help me out. They called me a cab AND gave me the number so I could summon one to the theater once the show was over - because unlike New York and even Chicago, cabs don't trawl the streets randomly. Every cab I was in had a radio tuned in to the dispatcher, sending cabs all over the place.

So off I went, cruising the rainy and very very silent streets. It was kind of eerie. I have no idea where anyone was - there wasn't even any traffic. I could see the sign for the Fabulous FoxTheatre from down the street. It was so big, I would bet that it could be seen from space. I allowed myself to breathe a sigh of relief - finally, I was here! I could get my ticket, relax, enjoy... Got the ticket, stepped into the lobby and geez! They are not kidding when they call themselves Fabulous! It was completely capital F Fabulous! But dark though. The lobby in there is as dark as the Auditorium Theater's where I spend mucho time. And that is saying something... Went in to find my seat. I had purchased a ticket somewhere called "orchestra pit" so I was aware that I would be close. I was unprepared though, when the usher brought me straight to the front row! Because while I LOVE being so close, I didn't actually do that on purpose. So it was a pleasant surprise and I could not stop smiling. Let's face it, it had been a long day, and when I wasn't gazing around the huge and ornate theater, with a sort of wondrous look, I was grinning like an idiot. I hope my seatmates didn't mind too much.

Before the show started, these random women came onto the stage to blab for a bit about a new presenting organization called Cabaret St. Louis - this concert was the first of a new series for it and they were hoping it would make St. Louis (are you ready for this?) the cabaret capital of the Midwest. Yeah, okay sure. Although heck, they had at least one audience member (me) travel down there for a show, so I guess anything is possible... They did some raffle but they had no clue what they were doing and it took WAY.TOO.LONG. Shut uuupppp, already!

And then, finally. The music started and Patti & Mandy took the stage. The audience (not just me, thank you!) went insane. Truly. They watched us, watching them. Patti smiled. Then they launched into "Another hundred people." And it was glorious. Suddenly, everything was right with the world, I had two amazing people singing to ME, about maybe 6 feet away (more? less? whatever, they were pretty damn close, ok? The spit was flying and everything!) and it made the whole mess of getting down there all worthwhile. I don't remember when I had this particular thought, but at some point, I was thinking that they could keep singing pretty much all night, and I'd be happy as a clam. I also thought that it might be fun to follow them both around the country (although it would mean trekking to places like Detroit and Cleveland and umm, no thank you. I'm a woman alone, after all. With limited wind and all of that) just to sit and listen and watch them be together. The show itself is structured a little strangely, and unlike their respective solo acts, does not include any dialogue or chatter with the audience. It was more like a little musical journey, with the songs all interwoven together. Sometimes it worked better than others, is all I will say. But they both sounded wonderful, looked good, and seemed to be having lots of fun up there. So it was fun to watch, even the rolling office chair choreography - which, really? You have Ann Reinking as your choreographer and really? But whatever, I kind of liked it. Have you noticed?

It all ended way too soon - as I say, I could have sat there forever. Is there any greater joy than having Ms. Patti sing "Don't cry for me Argentina" at you? With eye contact? And you're scared to look away? And then "Everything's Coming Up Roses"? Or Mandy singing (oh, crap, I've forgotten what it's called) that song from Follies something like the why don't you love me blues (I'll check the program later...) and then "If I Loved You" and "Some Enchanted Evening." Music, as one of the cabaret organization ladies called it "for mature listeners" - should I be offended? They are both such wonderful, animated performers. It was a pleasure. Maybe I was giddy, I don't know, but I loved every second of it.

Outside the theater, I noticed a warning sign posted on the door - no handguns allowed in the theater! And a picture of a gun with an "x" through it! We aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto. Because I was afraid of getting shot or stolen, I didn't try and find the stage door (I mean, I love you, Patti, I really do, but creeping around some dark alley somewhere struck me as the not incredibly intelligent option to pursue at this point in time) and I did not venture across the street to any number of clean, well lit establishments for dessert or an after dinner drink. I called a cab back to the hotel.

No comments: