Friday, June 11, 2010

chicago celebrates

So lucky for me I had the day off - allowing me to go to the Blackhawks parade!!! I didn't want to take my usual 7:04 am train (FOOL) instead opting for the 8:29 which would, theoretically, get me downtown by 9:00. Plenty of time to grab breakfast and score a decent spot for the parade. See any flaws in this plan yet?? Yeah, a million other people had the same idea. The trains were running late because of all the people in Hawks gear packed onto them. When my dad dropped me off, there was a train pulling up (it was 8:20 and I can only assume the train was the 8:15 running late). Dad thought maybe I could catch that one, and if it was merely a timing issue, I may have been able to make it. But no. Packed.

Whatever. Eventually I caught a train. I got downtown at 10:00. Parade allegedly to start at 10:30. No breakfast, no leisurely strolling to score a good spot. I grabbed a vitamin water and a snickers and joined the red and black shirted throngs on the street. Originally headed to Wacker and Washington but got nowhere. Turned around and walked on Madison instead. I was aiming for Daley Plaza, but just like FORGET IT. There were people everywhere. I was not surprised or anything but the original plans were out the window. I ended up on LaSalle and Washington, across from City Hall, and I wedged myself into a pretty decent spot. Much experience in this regard, from weaseling my way into spots at concerts, etc. It's a good thing I am little, is all I can tell you.

There were people everywhere - standing in windows in their (airconditioned) offices, sitting on top of bus shelters and newspaper boxes, climbing up street lamps, sitting in parking garages and leaning out the open parts. The crowd was friendly and excited - at one point an inflatable soccer ball appeared and made the rounds of the crowd (mainly on my side of the street). I even got a hand on it once (after it hit me in the head). There were chants of "Let's Go, Blackhawks!" and confetti showered down on us (and sometimes whole newspaper pages).

It was hot - we were packed in like sardines and all of a sudden it was 70 degrees and humid. Originally, I'd planned to bring an umbrella but was not able to find one small enough to stick into my bag. I figured I'd pick one up downtown (ha). I didn't but it didn't much matter - it didn't rain and also there wouldn't have been any room to open it anyway.

And then there they were!!!!!! On top of double decker buses, there was our team! And there was the Cup! We cheered and hollered and clapped and gave those boys the party they deserved when they won the thing in the first place.

When they finally passed, the crowd started streaming into Washington Street after them. I attempted to make my way to the rally and actually got to Wacker. It was pretty near impossible to get to the corner of Michigan and Wacker from where I ended up - it was all stanchioned off. Did I mention it was hot? And that I was wearing my red Hawks t-shirt with number 31 on it (Niemi!!) and jeans?? So I attempted to get to Michigan Avenue via Lake St. and it was just hugely crowded. So I never did get to the rally, I went and bought a cold drink and something else to wear instead. What? I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch and museum touring, and I didn't want to go all smelly and sweaty and gross.

But I was there, joining the city in the biggest celebration we've had, I think pretty much ever. And it was unbelievably exciting and wonderful. It was great to see the city come together, and a once in a lifetime "you've gotta be there" kind of event.

Now, I am exhausted. I will post pictures tomorrow.

No comments: