Tuesday, June 01, 2010

one more thing

I didn't say much about Jane's beautiful wedding shower on Sunday - possibly because I was in a bit of a comatose state after all of our shenanigans on Saturday night and have needed 2 full days to recover.

We had the shower at Walker Bros. Pancake House in Lincolnshire (where else for our breakfast loving Pancake Queen?) and it was a lovely party - the favors that I worked on on Friday (with help from my dad!) turned out SO CUTE and survived the trip to Wisconsin and back. We had a 1950's rock and roll theme, so the favors were these little coke glasses that I filled up with different kinds of candies to look like soda and topped off with "foam" - aka shiny, pearlized, personalized M&Ms that said "Jane & Brian" and "June 5, 2010" (I had trouble placing my order online and had to call them - I got the best and most friendly service. I mean, they work at Mars and must get free chocolates, yes? I would be pretty friendly too, if I had access to so much deliciousness on a daily basis. At any rate, I highly recommend the personalized M&Ms.)

Funny story - our friend Kim had bought the cake. It was lovely, but she'd had some problems. First, the cake people asked about the bride's colors for the wedding and Kim told them that she knew the bridesmaids were wearing black and purple. They told her that they couldn't use black on a WEDDING CAKE, it was better for funerals (because they do such a booming funeral cake business? Do people even have funeral cakes? What do they say?) but eventually they backed off because the frosting was black and purple (it looked and tasted great!) So she picked it up, paid and was walking out to her car when she saw that the cake said "Congradulations" on it. Now, I know that sometimes people will do that for graduations, because it puts the word "grad" in it, and it is also kind of the way that we say it, but no. Back inside the shop she went and told them the word was spelled wrong. They told her no, it wasn't and that "we use a dictionary here" - finally she spelled the word out and they were like "Oooohhhhh. We fix." You'd think that since it is also graduation season that they'd be doing many "Congratulations" cakes, but I guess not.

Anyway...

No comments: