Thursday, June 24, 2010

How 'bout a midnight Patti party?


Patti's book! In September! Some serious Diva Dish involved, from what I understand. Now here is my problem, y'all: to pre-order or not to pre-order?? Because I like the feeling of going to the bookstore right as it is opening (easy too, because it is conveniently located across the street from my office) and finding what I want, having it in hand and taking it home. With the pre-ordering, it is easier, I guess, but not as satisfying. I remember I did NOT do the pre-order thing with the Harry Potter series, I always got them at the store the day they came out. Except for the last one, which I DID pre-order, and then I ended up going to NYC (to, funnily enough, see Patti in Gypsy at City Center) and I decided I couldn't wait and bought a copy of it there. I even stopped off at one of the midnight party things, I had just seen the show at City Center -- I was wandering around, looking for a taxi, didn't find one and decided screw it and started walking. I ended up by Columbus Circle where there is a bookstore (Barnes & Noble, I think). I was curious and it was almost midnight, so I went in. There were so many people (in costume!) and it was so nuts, I went back out again and found a cab there. I bought the book the next morning at the Barnes & Noble across from Lincoln Center and spent the morning reading it over waffles at Nice Matin. I read up until the matinee of Grey Gardens that afternoon.
I did not lug that tome around the city with me - although, come to think of it, that was the night I met up with Sarah, Kari, Sally, Bob and Gator and we had dinner and saw Gypsy (so I saw it three times when I was there. You are not allowed to judge me.). One of the Ugly Betty cast members and her boyfriend sat in front of me and totally obstructed my view - the book might have come in handy then because I could have either hit them both over the head with it (just kidding!!) or SAT on the damn thing so that I could see. I remember by the stage door that night there were people reading the book. I mean, really??
Sorry, that was a bit of a digression. The point is though, I have two copies of Harry Potter and the whatever the last one was called, because I couldn't wait to get home to my pre-order. What to do? Pre-order Patti and hope it comes early? Go to the store first thing? What if they (gasp!) don't have it??
Do you think any stores will be having midnight parties? Dress up as Reno Sweeney/Evita/Mrs. Lovett and sing showtunes?? Wouldn't that be awesome? Maybe in New York... sigh...


No comments: