Friday, May 15, 2009

Brian Denehy - not dead, but leaving the St. James...

So my mom & I have this joke - she once told me that the talented actor Brian Denehy had passed away. She was very very very certain about this, even though I had seen him on a teaser for the show Just Shoot Me ("They must have filmed that before he died," she told me.) and also after he'd won a Tony for Death of A Salesman (apparently from Beyond the Veil?). It appears she'd mixed him up with another famous Brian who'd been on tv or something who really had passed away (so she tells me. We aren't sure who this Brian could have been though, but apparently was a dead ringer - HA - for Mr. D.) But now, every time we hear about him or see him, we will declare - look! Not dead!

** UPDATE ** Apparently, the famous Brian that did actually die that my mom was mixing up with Brian Denehy is Brian Keith. She figured this out by googling "Famous Brians." I looked up some pictures and there is a bit of a similiarity, in all fairness to her.

And so the very much alive Mr. Denehy had taken the Goodman by storm this past year with his Desire Under the Elms, which transferred to Broadway, where NY audiences (and Tony voters) were largely underwhelmed. It got zero Tony nods and will be closing on May 24.

1 comment:

Bob said...

oops. I guess NY audiences weren't won over by desire on some boulders.