Monday, May 18, 2009

tickets! tickets! tickets!

It has been a ticket buying kind of day - sparked first by an email I received from the Harris Theater for Music & Dance. Subscribe now, it tells me, special packages available. One such package, the Broadway Luminaries Series (can it really be a "series" if it is just two shows?) includes the following:

Stephen Sondheim
An Intimate Exchange with the “Master of the Musical”
Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm

The single most influential force in bringing the Broadway musical into the modern age, Stephen Sondheim, speaks with WTTW’s John Calloway about the state of American musical theater and reflections on his own creative process as he celebrates his 80th birthday. An audience Q&A with Sondheim will follow the conversation. (Can you imagine? I'd have to write down questions in advance, or something, since I don't think I'd have 2 brain cells to rub together on the actual day...)

- AND -

Christine Ebersole
An Evening of Song with Chicago’s Own Nightingale
Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Fresh off her second Tony Award win for Grey Gardens, Ms. Ebersole makes her Harris debut with a unique line-up of Broadway show tunes and standards.

Well, naturally, I wanted to go. So I click the handy "Subscribe Now!" button on my email and it takes me to a page with descriptions of the series, identical to the ones that you see above, and... no place to actually purchase the series. Uh, what? There was a link that said "Buy tickets" which made me think I'd be able to use it to, you know, buy the tickets, but then it tells me that tickets aren't available online yet. Why send the email, Harris Theater, telling people to subscribe online if you don't actually let them actually purchase the series online?? I called the box office, finally, and bought the tickets that way. I asked the guy why I wasn't able to buy them online and he went "That's weird. You should be able to." Well thanks loads, dude, I know I should have been able to. But I wasn't... Sigh. Anyway, it's fine, calling them works (even if you have to wait on hold forever and listen to the same REALLY BAD music on a loop...) And I have my tickets!

I also managed to score tickets to see Kylie in October! I don't know why I couldn't get them during the presale, but I was able to get them once they went onsale to the general public.

In other news, I am also soon going to be purchasing tickets for Legally Blonde this month and am also going to see if I can get any to see the CSO's gala concert featuring the divine Ms. Renée Fleming in October. According to their website, single tickets for that event go on sale in June. If they are not through the roof, I will be there with bells on. Which I will silence, once in the Presence of the Diva, naturally.

No comments: