Tuesday, May 19, 2009

so you had a bad day...

So last night I watched the 2 hour season finale of 24. I've been watching it off and on this season - I'd followed it pretty seriously when it first came on and then it became incredibly ridiculous so I broke up with Jack Bauer, seriously the unluckiest man possibly on this earth. But geez, I just couldn't resist it this year. It's still ridiculous and it takes itself SO very seriously. There is no humor in the show like at all. I personally think it would have been hillarious to show the show's teasers and previews with that song "So You Had A Bad Day" but that would require a sense of humor and everyone involved seems pretty devoid of that trait. Like yesterday, Renee asked Jack something like "Do you regret anything you've done today?" To which I responded, naturally "Yeah - getting out of bed this morning!" He really does have the worst days pretty much ever.

However, what they lack in humor they more than make up for with with weirdo plot twists (what you think is the point early on turns out to have nothing to do with anything! They spent whole hours of the show talking about this big old baddie named Debacle or some such and it turns out he wasn't even the Ultimate Evil. Jon Voigt was, but then he wasn't even really...and then the President's daughter had him killed... see? All twisty and turny) and of course, blowing stuff up, and you can't beat Jack Bauer's "interrogation techniques" by basically shouting at your suspect "WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?" or "TELL ME THE NAMES!" Jack says pretty much all of his lines like that and then he shoots them for good measure. Awesome.

Yesterday he was dying from this incurable toxin and he still managed to kick through a room of baddies (handcuffed!) armed with nothing more than a scalpel. You can't beat that. And then the ultracool FBI chick came blasting in on her helicopter and commenced to take out a whole bunch of baddies while hanging onto an SUV and shooting left-handed. And now it appears she's going rogue - since Jack's in a coma, Renee will get her own spinoff. Or her own storyline next season. Oh and I really liked the Battle of the Nerds happening between Chloe and Janice (played extremely nerdishly by Janeane Garofalo - did you know garofalo means cabbage or something in Italian by the way?) the two of them clacking furiously on their computers in order to save the world etc. Loved it.

I also really love the world of 24 in that they were the first to have a black president (David Palmer - who is now selling insurance for AllState AND Heading the Unit. What a guy!) and a woman president (Allison Taylor, played by Cherry Jones). Taylor is a good President, I suppose, although why on earth would you make your kind of dim witted daughter your Chief of Staff? Conflict of interest much??

Yeah, so anyway. I got all sucked into watching 24 and I didn't do much of anything else last night... Tonight, I will be watching the "showdown" between Adam and Kris and THEN I shall be watching "Glee" which makes me nearly giddy with excitement (or maybe it's the very large cup of tea I am drinking??) Who can tell?

No comments: