Thursday, May 28, 2009

omigod, you guys!

I have a confession to make: until last night I was a "Legally Blonde: The Musical" virgin. I had not listened to the original cast album, or seen the MTV show, or any of that. Not for any particular reason, or anything, there was no chip on my shoulder vis-a-vis the show, I just never got around to seeing it. The vision in my mind was gosh, that's a lot of pink, but other than that, it was pretty much a blank slate. I was excited when I heard it was coming here, and so I rounded up my BFF, and we got our pink on (like there needs to be a reason for this) and hit the show last night. Since it was a Wednesday, the house was not crowded. I don't think they even opened the balcony. I got a lovely discount from the box office (thanks, man!) and so we were in the 9th row. It is the closest I have ever sat in that theater.

Pre-show we had a great dinner at La Rosetta - no waiting and delicious food - so suck it, Petterino's! (Oh, I don't mean that. Next time, I'll make a stinkin' reservation...) Onto the show. At first, I wasn't sure I was going to like it - during the first song, I was like, Oh, no... squeaky sorority girls screeching "Omigod, you guys!" in song?? What was I thinking? And oh, the pink. So much pink. But somewhere in the first act, I just got into it. Our Elle was played by Lauren Ashley Zakrin who was apparently a finalist in the MTV Show "Legally Blonde the Musical: the Search for Elle Woods" and I liked her fine. She was cute and perky as a little blonde button, sort of Kristin Chenoweth-y in parts of her voice, but without as much range (does that make any sense? She just reminded me a little of KC). I really had nothing to compare her to, since I have not heard Laura Bell Bundy or Becky Gulsvig and so, you know, like I said, she was fine. I wasn't overwhelmed, or anything, but I thought she was a good Elle. I even cried a little, at the end. I was just that into it.

And it was just bubbly and fun. I left the theater happy (and, naturally, singing "omigod, omigod, you guys..." which I will probably do now for the rest of the week) and that's all I really ask for in a theater going experience. I would also totally see it again, because I liked it that much - any takers?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I would absolutely go with you, if I didn't live 2000 miles away...

My mother forced me to watch the MTV recording from Broadway a couple of Christmases ago, and I really enjoyed it (against my will)!

BroadwayBaby said...

It's surprising, because I was not sure I would like it, but it is almost impossible to not have a good time when sitting there.