Sunday, May 03, 2009

this weekend...

Is Spring finally here? I think so! Yesterday I was working at our Spring Program and let me just tell any of you in Chicago - if you like dance, don't miss this. I'm not just saying that, either. Catch a sneak preview here. I don't know anything about dance except that I like to watch it, and I think this program offers something for everyone - first the classic Les Noces by Nijinska - the Stravinsky score is striking (oh all right, fine, it made my teeth hurt a little) and the dancing is amazing. It is, like Sacre, about a peasant ritual in ancient Russia - fun times! A wedding not for love but for obligation. It is told in a series of tableaux (is that right?) showing the bride and groom, and the village celebrating the union. Next on the program is Tomasson's Valses Poeticos - a series of duets between two dancers, as he says "like love letters between two people" - sublime. That's all I can say. Two dancers, lots of great solo work, accompanied by a solo piano. Intimate and flowing. Arpino's Round of Angels comes next - sweeping, soaring, acrobatic, beautiful. And of course, the best is saved for last - Wheeldon's Carousel A Dance. It uses music from the show, but it is not Carousel told through dance (if that makes sense). It is the start of the love story of these two characters, Billy and Julie, with the rest of the company forming the "machinery" of the Carousel. I could just sit there and watch it forever, and I'm not even kidding. Come see for yourself!

Today I'm off to A Chorus Line. I've heard mixed reviews about this show, but I'm excited anyway. I guess we'll see, right?

No comments: