Friday, May 15, 2009

Mr. Esparza’s Infinite Playlist



So I am still getting Time Out New York, as part of the free subscription I got when I joined HipTix for my Sunday in the Park with George tickets. I also read Time Out Chicago, which is, you know, more helpful to me as I live for the moment, in Chicago. But TONY is so much cooler... it's fun to read. The issue that I received yesterday included all the hot things you lucky New Yorkers get to do this summer, including seeing Twelfth Night with my Favorite Bobby, Raul Esparza. Mr. Esparza created a mix tape that his character would give the girl if the story was set today... Go to TONY's website and listen to it for yourself!

1 "Tears All Over Town," A Girl Called Eddy

2 "Waiting in Vain," Bob Marley
"Duke kicks back with a little reggae (this all takes place on an island, after all). He likes the tenacity expressed here: 'It's been three years since I'm knocking on your door?/?And I still can knock some more…' The guy's not gonna give up. Though I suspect he secretly likes the Annie Lennox version better."

3 "I Will Wait for You," Astrud Gilberto

4 "Make You Feel My Love," Bob Dylan

"She hasn't made up her mind yet, he's going black and blue and crawling around, and there's a highway of regret and he'll dry her tears and go to the ends of the earth for her, all to make her feel his love. Who can resist?"

5 "Stormy Weather," Louis Armstrong
"Apparently, she can."

6 "Glad to Be Unhappy," Frank Sinatra

7 "Almost Lover," A Fine Frenzy
"Goodbye, my almost lover. Goodbye, my hopeless dream. Cool song. Duke has flawless taste."

8 "I Still Care for You," Ray LaMontagne

9 "All You Need Is Me," Morrissey
"Getting a little angry now. Duke's always thought a great deal of himself. Check the psycho hee-haw lyrics: 'There's a naked man standing, laughing in your dreams / You know who it is / But you don't like what it means… / You don't like me, but you love me / Either way you're wrong / You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.'"

10 "Free Fallin'," John Mayer
"Duke's moving on. He thinks. See, he's leaving her behind. And there's this little confusing thing happening: There's this hot guy, Cesario, his new friend. Really understanding. Really good friend. Really hot. Looks amazingly like that girl from The Devil Wears Prada. I mean, if she were a guy. And sometimes when they hug, Duke gets a little excited feeling in his belly. I mean, he's not gay or anything. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If you could see this guy, you'd understand. It's a little weird. Duke's free falling."

11 "I Can't Make You Love Me," Bonnie Raitt
"Is this the acceptance phase? Or is he a sexually confused stalker?"

12 "It Don't Matter to the Sun," Rosie Thomas

13 "New Favorite," Alison Krauss
"There's someone else. There's someone else. Oh my God! His worst nightmare."

14 "Wake Up Call," Maroon 5
"Homicidal love song. You know, Duke Orsino is a little unstable. Gets very angry, fast. Has no problem telling Cesario, his great bromance, that he'll kill him if it turns out that he and Olivia have hooked up."

15 "If You're Not the One," Daniel Bedingfield
"Asks the question, why do I feel this way if we're not supposed to be together after all? Duke's answer: Wait. Is it the guy standing next to me who makes me feel this way? Is he the one? I think he is. Okay, I like boys, then. Wait. The dude is a girl? Okay, I like girls again. And everything ends happily ever after. If you say so, Shakespeare."

No comments: